torsdag 22 september 2011

Summer's over. Life's beginning.


It's September again! I'm back in Berlin again.

I spent one month in Sweden, bouncing between Malmö and Gothenburg, fully enjoying my internship at Malmös city planning office, and preparing for my last weekend of August concert. I came up with two new songs, one fast-paced drum machine-driven cosmic rocker and one example of the ultimate musical introversion that I try so hard to achieve at the moment, using, for me, unorthodoxly much computer interaction and tapes. Unfortunately Kurt Vile also granted my hometown with a concert, meaning my audience could've been bigger. But I was really happy, there was a nice atmosphere in the small gallery. The meditative piece I really felt was exactly what I'm up for at the moment.

I discovered Jon Hassell. Now I'm turning from the upbeat sound I was chasing the first half of 2011, trying to make as much as possible with as little as possible. Less is more. I'm finally coming closer to the end of the minimalist road.

Two weeks ago I played St. Gaudy Folk Society again. I know it probably sounds weird, but this time I kind of feel it was my best concert to this date. First of all, Maja Milners four-song-set was emotional and personal. Then my four-song-set was also emotional and personal. I think. I had the audiences full attention, and for the first time it didn't bother me one bit if something went out of hand, my technology or my ability to sing and play. I felt I hardly had a plan for how I was going to perform the songs, and seeing that I composed two of them the day before, I had good reasons to feel nervous. But no, this time it just happened. Total connection. Or whatever not-as-pretentious-expression you like to use. Thank you to all the people who showed, it was your openness that made me feel so calm.

Today me and Andreas started working on the album again. We were both convinced, that the effort we've made, the tracks we've recorded, weren't all work for nothing. We've been experimenting, trying to find my musical voice. And it seems we got further and further from the retro-inspired stuff I was doing when he offered his production services for the first time. Maybe none of the tracks we did during the summer of 2011 will find a place on the record, but there's no use to feel sadness over this. Todays results were just remarkable. It all went so smooth, and after three hours we had recorded two almost finished songs.

Tomorrow, Friday, I was supposed to play a concert with Sarah Mcguire, but the people at Soupanova had made a double booking. This means we'll play in the end of October instead. So write it up in your calendar, Friday Oct 28th it is! The place is on Stargarder Strasse 24 in Prenzlauer Berg. The closest S/U-Bhf is Schönhauser Allée.

Also, I'm starting to make plans for Kristiania for October. I want to arrange a concert every friday, showcasing at least two acts per evening. Next week will see my attempts to glue a schedule together. It's going to get wild at K-A !

Thanks for reading, your the reason I'm doing this.

Frans

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar